Saturday, December 18, 2010

The destruction of Pompeii

It was a summer day in A.D. 79. It was just about noon time when a loud roar was heard throughout the city of Pompeii. Upon looking out, I saw that Mount Vesuvius was belching out a huge cloud of smoke as fire spewed upwards. Very soon after, a darkness came over the city. It was darker than any night that I had seen. Burning rocks, pumice and stones were raining down from the skies. It was a scary time to be in Pompeii. The sounds of all the screaming and frightened people that had not been as lucky as I was to find shelter continued to ring in my ears. I must have finally fallen asleep from pure exhaustion as the next I knew it was 7am. I no longer heard the screams of people but instead the screaming of the winds that were carrying ash, poisonous vapors and very hot temperatures through the streets of Pompeii.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/pompeii/history/history_07.html

No comments:

Post a Comment